Valhalla Presents a Night of History, Cheese & Ale – Thursday 19th October 2023Our Delivery & Returns policy
Are you a history buff? Maybe you’re not but you have a keen interest to learn about the Vikings and the impact they had on York and the wider world?
If so then we have a night lined up that just may tickle your fancy.
£25 per head gets you a free drink of your choice from the bar on arrival up to £6.50, a cheese board consisting of some of the best sourced cheeses, freshly baked bread, fruit, and chutney and quite the historical journey. This won’t be a dull history lesson, far from it, expect a fun and entertaining account of all things Norse.
Local historian John is no professor or lecturer. What he is though is the perfect man to guide you through the history of York, who the Vikings were, their faith, their fearsome reputation as warriors and conquerors and what impact they had on the world. John has dedicated himself to pursuing his passion of the tales of old and is no stranger to hosting and guiding many visitors to York through its history.
The evening is expected to take approximately 1.5 hours and will take place in AllFather Hall. It is a private event accessed by booking only. The room will be booked out for the evening so, if you have enjoyed yourself and made friends with your fellow travellers, you are more than welcome to sup and chat away until closing if you choose to!
Below is the overview of the journey ahead;
First Discussion – General Overview of the Vikings
- -Britain leading up to the Viking raids and invasion
- -Roman Britain
- -Anglo Saxon Britain / England
- -First raids, Lindisfarne & motivations for why they came to Britain
- -Sources – Anglo Saxon Chronicle, why all Viking Sources aren’t that reliable (written later in different places),
- -The Myth of the Great Heathen Army,
- -Why were the Vikings so good in battle & their Pagan beliefs,
- -Modern Viking and Pagan sub cultures.
30-minute break for more ale.
Second Discussion (around 25-30 mins) – York & the end of the Viking Age
- -Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons,
- -The battle of York 866AD and its prominence,
- -The Great Heathen Army Part 2,
- -First Kings of York & the zenith of the city,
- -Valhalla York – why is its location so significant,
- -The last Viking King, Eric Bloodaxe,
- -The end of the Vikings – 1066 and Harald Hardrada,
- -The legacy of the Vikings today.
Places are limited to just 25 Spaces and the event is bookable through our website in advance only. If you book you will be sent a ticket via email prior to the event for you and your guests to show at the venue on arrival. If you don’t seem to have received an email please check your Spam/Junk folder.
The event will begin at 19:00 but we would suggest visitors are with us by approximately 18:30 so that you have ample time to redeem your free drink and get comfortable in AllFather Hall.
The event is limited to over 18s Only.
Please contact us in advance if you have any special dietary requirements.
As our function room is located on the top floor we are afraid this event is unsuitable for people with mobility issues.
Please note that due to the nature and infrequency of the event we are unable to offer refunds if you are unable to attend.